Sunday, May 20, 2012

MoDo is a catholic Catholic


And her latest column takes the current Catholic church to task for its parochialism.
I ALWAYS liked that the name of my religion was also an adjective meaning all-embracing.

I was a Catholic and I wanted to be catholic, someone engaged in a wide variety of things. As James Joyce wrote in “Finnegans Wake:” “Catholic means ‘Here comes everybody.’ ”

So it makes me sad to see the Catholic Church grow so uncatholic, intent on loyalty testing, mind control and heresy hunting. Rather than all-embracing, the church hierarchy has become all-constricting.
And MoDo will continue to be saddened by the course of the church which prefers the wizened old Conservatism of Marcial Maciel Degollado and Bernard Law to the enlightened outlook of Pope John XXIII.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]