Thursday, March 08, 2007

A morning commute ... in Baghdad

From the McClatchy blog:

As drove along I was thinking, “Oh, this is unusual; there are no traffic jams, no check stops.. I’m going to reach work very early.” It usually takes two hours to drive less than three miles to work.

Then the shooting began.

From both sides of the highway, I could hear gunfire … coming at me!

Then I realized they were shooting at one another and I was caught in the crossfire.

So that’s why the highway is clear. Furtively looking around,I saw a police patrol under the bridge and a policeman gesturing madly to me to hurry. I sped to the relative safety of the column under the bridge, and stopped, heart pounding. Will I make it safely home to my family today?? Or am I going to be just one more statistic, one more “unidentified body” for my colleagues to include in the roundup of violence for the day, we daren’t carry IDs lest they be used against our families.



And you thought a little gridlock was bad.

Comments:
Oh come on, this is no worse than Los Angeles rush-hour traffic.

-- Badtux the Rush Limbaugh-channelin' Penguin
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]