Friday, December 07, 2018

A poem for the workers


This poem was found in comments on the article about undocumented workers in the NY Times of 12/6/18. It was posted by C Whiting.

I make your bed. 
I clean your toilet. 
I carry the insults you heap
 on hardworking people like me
 across my aching shoulders.

 I wear your little flag pin
 and know that I am part of a game,
 a performance,
 a hoax.

 I scrub the orange makeup
 from the collar of your shirt

 and your voice rises in anger
 because those stains
 tell a stubborn truth,
 about the mask you wear.

 I have no power over my own story.
 You have changed and abused 
 and distorted my truth
 for your own convenience,
 so that from your lips 
 I am no longer a survivor,
 courageous, industrious, human.
 Instead, I scrub your toilet 
 and the words
 criminal, 
 “illegal,” 
 rapist
 drug-dealer
 ring in my ears.

 Scrub.
 Scrub. 
 Scrub.

 Enough.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]